Careers at Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary
The Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary is a 1,700-acre Regional Park in southern Anne Arundel County, Maryland. The Sanctuary is operated by the county's Department of Recreation and Parks and is part of the Chesapeake Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve in Maryland. Thousands of visitors, school children, university students, and volunteers, along with many government resource agencies and conservation organizations, visit the Sanctuary every year to learn about and study the natural world and to participate in citizen science projects.
Our mission is to increase awareness, understanding, and appreciation of estuarine and other natural ecosystems and their conservation through outdoor education, research, stewardship, and volunteering.
Summer Camp Counselor - Natural & Cultural Resource Division
LOCATION: Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, 1361 Wrighton Road, Lothian MD 20711
OPEN PERIOD: Applications due by March 20, 2020
BASE SALARY: $14.50 / hr
POSITION INFORMATION: Seasonal (700 hours)
WORK PERIOD: May 11 to Aug 28, 2020 with potential for annual renewal
WORK SCHEDULE: Five, eight and a half (8.5) hour days/week, including 30 min break
- Join Rangers and Naturalists to safely and successfully deliver six (6) weeks of summer camp programming.
- Lead small groups of children ranging from Pre-K to High School-age.
- Lead administrative and outreach tasks pertaining to delivering the summer camps.
- Lead the development and delivery of a week-long traveling camp that visits unique and engaging features through county regional parks.
- Successful completion of multiple on-the-job trainings that are required to conduct summer camps, including American Canoe Association Trip Leader assessments, 1st Aid, CPR, medical administration training, etc.
- Be responsible for driving children in a camp transport van.
- Other duties as needed.
- B.S./B.A. or working toward a degree in Environmental Education, Environmental Science, Recreation, Education, or a related field.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, Google suite products, and other computer skills.
- 2-years teaching or working with children preferred.
- Experience with delivering summer camp programs strongly preferred.
- Must pass both drug and background screenings.
- Must have a valid driver’s license;
- Willing to work under various, potentially challenging weather conditions.
- Canoe and kayak experience is a plus;
- A demonstrated passion and commitment for the natural world is a must!
Applications will be accepted until March 20 with an anticipated May 2020 start date. Please send your cover letter and resume, along with the names and contact information for professional references to: Sarah Kempfer (Education Coordinator) at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Undergraduate and Graduate Student Summer Internships
The Friends of Jug Bay, the Maryland Chesapeake Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve, and Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary support the Jug Bay Summer Internship Program. This program provides a hands-on opportunity for four undergraduate and graduate students to learn the tools of doing experiential research, no matter the subject or how simple the question.
With the guidance of a mentor, interns immerse themselves in research and education issues at Jug Bay for 12 weeks (June-August). During this time, interns learn how to design an experiment or project, apply sampling protocols, collect and analyze field data, write a report, and present their findings, as well as to promote our education goals through the development of new curriculum, film vignettes, and other education products.