Careers at Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary
The Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary is a 1,700-acre Regional Park in southern Anne Arundel County, Maryland. The Sanctuary is operated by the county's Department of Recreation and Parks and is part of the Chesapeake Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve in Maryland. Thousands of visitors, school children, university students, and volunteers, along with many government resource agencies and conservation organizations, visit the Sanctuary every year to learn about and study the natural world and to participate in citizen science projects.
Our mission is to increase awareness, understanding, and appreciation of estuarine and other natural ecosystems and their conservation through outdoor education, research, stewardship, and volunteering.
Office Manager (Part-Time)
LOCATION: Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, 1361 Wrighton Road, Lothian MD 20711
OPEN PERIOD: Monday August 2 – Tuesday August 31, 2021 or Until Filled
BASE SALARY: $14.50 / hr
POSITION INFORMATION: Part-Time (28 hrs/week)
WORK SCHEDULE: Wednesday, Half-Thursday, Friday, and Saturday
- Conduct general office duties: greet and orient visitors to the park, answer phones and emails, collect park admission fee, maintain supplies of maps, brochures, etc.
- Purchase environmentally friendly office supplies and other supplies and equipment as needed.
- Manage and submit reports for credit card, petty cash, and cash register in a timely manner.
Pay monthly bills and make bank deposits.
Process weekly payroll/time cards for Sanctuary staff.
- Track the Sanctuary’s budget, including purchases, expenses, etc.
Track monthly public visitation and generate related report.
- Conduct and reconcile annual inventory of Sanctuary equipment.
- Coordinate facility rentals, special events, and other contracts with outside organizations.
- Organize and schedule meetings and appointments.
- Train and manage office volunteers. Maintain consistent office coverage.
- Assist with creating monthly reports, e-newsletter and Marsh Notes newsletter.
- Assist with Sanctuary public programs, special events, and fundraising events.
- Associate's or bachelor's degree in Business Administration or two years related experience.
Strong customer service, communication, and writing skills.
- Two years of experience on budget management.
- Proven office management, administrative, and/or accounting experience.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multitask and prioritise work.
- Ability to stay on task with multiple interruptions.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- High proficiency in Microsoft office suite, Google suite products, and other computer skills.
- Experience in the management of website content and other social media outlets is a plus.
- Experience delivering nature programming for the general public is a plus.
- Physically able to assist with setting up for programs and events.
- A demonstrated passion and commitment for the natural world is a must!
- Have a valid driver’s license.
Please send a cover letter and your resume, along with the names and contact information for three professional references to: Patricia Delgado (Park Superintendent) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Undergraduate and Graduate Student Summer Internships
The Friends of Jug Bay, the Maryland Chesapeake Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve, and Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary support the Jug Bay Summer Internship Program. This program provides a hands-on opportunity for four undergraduate and graduate students to learn the tools of doing experiential research, no matter the subject or how simple the question.
With the guidance of a mentor, interns immerse themselves in research and education issues at Jug Bay for 12 weeks (June-August). During this time, interns learn how to design an experiment or project, apply sampling protocols, collect and analyze field data, write a report, and present their findings, as well as to promote our education goals through the development of new curriculum, film vignettes, and other education products.