Wetland Ecology by Canoe
Join a naturalist on a guided canoe journey on the Patuxent River.
*Our 2016 Season has wrapped up. Please check back in March for our 2017 Guided Public Canoe and Kayak Trips.
2017 Guided Public Canoe Trips
- Season: May - October
- Min 10 - Max 20 people
- Age Requirement: 7 and up. Children under 16 are required to have at least one adult in the canoe. Two adults per child are recommended for children between 7 and 10.
- Duration: 4 hours. This includes orientation, paddling instructions, one mile hike to launch site, launching canoes, and paddling. Time on the river is about 2 to 2.5 hours.
- Participants arriving later than 15 minutes after the program start time may not be able to participate. Please be courteous and arrive on time.
- Private canoes and kayaks are not permitted. Participants may bring their own paddles or Coast Guard approved PFD if they wish.
- $20 per person. Note that price may vary for special trips.
- Advanced payment (cash or check) must be received to reserve spot.
- Refunds are not given for cancellations or "no shows."
- If JBWS cancels a trip due to bad weather (unsafe conditions), low enrollment, or staff conflicts, we will provide a full refund.
Reservations for Public Programs:
- Check our calendar of events for upcoming guided canoe programs.
- Public programs are for individuals, not groups. Groups may schedule private programs and detailed below.
- Call 410-741-9330 to check program availability and to register. Your spot will be secured once you have sent a completed Public Canoe Registration Form with payment (cash or check) to: Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, 1361 Wrighton Road, Lothian, MD 20711
- Click here to register for programs with Active Net numbers. Enter the activty number into the Anne Arundel County Online Registration system to register for the program.
- Walk-in registration will be accepted if space is available. Call the day of the program to check availability.
Reservations for Private Groups:
- Guided canoe trips are available for groups (scouts, camps, ect.) by advanced reservation, May - October.
- Min 10, Max 18 people
- Advanced payment for at least 10 people ($200) is required to reserve the date.
- Submit a completed Group Program Request Form to request a guided canoe trip. Reservations must be made at least 6 weeks before the requested date. Many dates fill up 3-6 months in advance.
- A staff member will confirm your date and provide you with further instructions prior your visit.
Reservations for Schools:
Grades 8-12 are invited to see the wetlands from the water. Students will discover the plants and animals of the Jug Bay Wetlands while discussing human impacts on water quality and ecosystem health. *Students can perform water quality tests during the canoe trip.
Fee: $15 per person. Some scholarships are available.
Be Prepared! What to Bring:
- Plenty of drinking water or other liquids.
- Lunch or snack to eat on the water.
- Broad-brimmed hat
- Synthetic clothing that dries quickly and shoes that can get wet
- Optional: binoculars and camera. Remember we will be on the water and personal items may get wet. Canoes can tip over, paddles drip water into the canoes, and feet can get wet when entering or exiting the canoe. We claim no liability for personal items or electronic equipment (cell phones included) that are damaged during the canoe trip.
- Recommended: Waterproof dry bag to protect expensive electronic items from water.
It is an easy one mile walk to the canoe launch site (River Pier) so you may wish to wear comfortable walking shoes before changing into paddling "wettable" shoes at the launch site.