- Groups must make a reservation prior to a visit.
- Plants and animals are protected. Nothing can be collected without a permit.
- Hikers should stay on trails and boardwalks.
- Dogs are not allowed in the Sanctuary, but may be walked on leash at the Glendening Preserve.
- Bikes and horses are not allowed on Sanctuary trails.
- Picnic tables are available at the Wetland Center, at Farm Point (River Farm; Sweet Flag Picnic Area) and near Plummer House (Glendening Preserve).
- Smoking is allowed in parking areas only. No smoking on trails or in buildings.
- Recreational hunting or fishing are not allowed in the Sanctuary. Anglers may fish by boat anywhere in Jug Bay waters.
- There are no boat launching facilities within the Sanctuary. Hand-carried boats may be launched at Patuxent Wetland Park on Route 4 at Hill's Bridge, near Wayson's Corner.
Beaver lodge in a freshwater tidal marsh on the Patuxent